Objective: To assert pathophysiology in spinocerebellar ataxia type 12 (SCA12) extends way beyond cerebellar or spinal pathology. To further sensitise scientific community about consistent nigro-striatal dysfunction in SCA 12 that may contribute in phenotypical presentation and therapeutic target.
Background: Spinocerebellar ataxia type 12 is rare autosomal dominant cerebellar disorder. Pathogenesis is caused by expanded repeats of CAG/CTG in open frame of the gene PPP2R2B on chromosome 5q32. Neuroimaging has shown mild to moderate cerebral and cerebellar atrophy. Taken in to consideration the diverse phenotype in conjunction with Parkinsonism, imprecise pathogenicity, mild cerebellar atrophy and neuronal inclusion bodies in substantia niagra we applied Dopamine Transporter imaging in 10 patients to appreciate archetype of neurodegeneration in SCA12.
Method: 15 genetically confirmed and clinically symptomatic patients of SCA12 with more than 43 repeats were subjected to TRODAT scan. All of 15 patients were clinically examined and characterised for motor and non-motor features with TETRAS, MOCA, SARA. HDRS scales.
Results: All of 15 patients presented with tremor of varied intensity. 6 patients rendered Parkinsonism as dominating feature. Illustration of TRODAT scan showed reduced presynaptic dopamine tracer reuptake in all 15 patients with posterior putamen being most affected. 7 patients showed mild depletion of DAT tracers, 2 patients showed severe depletion and rest of the patients exhibited moderate depletion. Anterrior to posterior gradient for degree of TRODAT uptake was maintained in majority of patients. Severity of motor and non motor symptoms were not in agreement with amount of DAT depletion in straitum. Asymmetric presynaptic DAT depletion was concommitant with asymmetric presentation of disease.
Conclusion: Patients with SCA 12 consistently showed abnormal dopamine transporter binding. Severity of Nigro-Striatal degeneration did not influence clinical manifestation of Parkinsonian symptoms. Presynaptic dopamine dysfunction reflected in all 15 patients designates SCA12 as multi axial brain disorder beyond cerebellum. As presynaptic depletion of DAT corresponds with loss of nigro-striatal dopaminergic neuron, Levodopa can be tried in patients with SCA 12
References: 1. Holmes SE, O’Hearn EE, Mclnnis MG et ai, Expansion of a novel CAG trinucleotide repeat in the 5’ region of PPP2R2B is associated with SCA12. Nat Genet1999; 23:391-392
2. O’Hearn EE, Hwang HS, Holmes SE, et al. Neuropathology and cellular pathogenesis of spinocerebellar ataxia type 12. Mov Diord 2015; 30:1813-1824
3. Choudhury S, Chatterjee S, Chatterjee K, Banerjee R, Humby J, Mondal B, et al. Cninical Characterisation of genetically diagnosed cases of spinocetebellar ataxia type 12 from India, Mov Disord Clin Pract2018; 5:39-46
4. Srivastava AK, Choudhury S, Gopinath MS, Roy S, Tripathi M, Brahamachari SK, Jain S: Molecular and clinical correlation in five Indian families with spinocerebellar ataxia 12. Ann Neur 50:796-800(2001)
5. Dragasevic’NT, Culjkovic’ B, Klein C et al. (2006). Frequency analysis and clinical characterisation of different types of spinocerebellar ataxia in serbian patients. Mov Disord 21: 187-191
6. Fujigasaki H, Verma IC, Camuzat A et al. (2001). SCA12 is a rare locus for atosomal dominant cerebellar ataxia: a tudy from an Indian family. Ann Nerol 49: 117-121
7. Weng YH, Yen TC, Chen MC, Kao PF, Tzen KY, Chen RS, et al. Sensitivity and specificity of 99mTc-TRODAT-1 SPECT imaging in diffrentiating patients with Idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease from healthy subjects. J Nucl Med. 2004;45 (3) : 393-401
8. Srivastava AK, Takkar A, Garg A, Faruq M. Clinical behavious of spinocerebellar ataxia type 12 and intermediate length abnormal CAG repeats in PPP2R2B. Brain 2017; 140:27-36
9. Holmes SE, O’Hearn E, Margolis RL. Whys is SCA12 different from other SCAs? Cytogenet Genome Res 2003;100:189-197
10. Anna L, Claudia DG, Elisa M, Bettina B, Florian B et al. Abnormmal DaTSCAN and Atypical Parkinsonism in SCA12. Mov Disord Clin Pract 2019; 6(5): 400-402
11. Huang WS, Lin SZ, Lin JC, Wey SP, Ting G, Liu RS. Evaluation of early stage Parkinson’s disease with 99mTc-TRODAT-1 imaging. J Nucl Med. 2001; 42(9): 1303-1308
12. Huang WS, Lee MS, Lin JC, Chen CY, Yang TW, Lin SZ et al. Usefulness of brain [99mTc]-TRODAT-1 SPET for the evaluation of Parkinson’s Disease. Eur J NuclMed Mol Imaging. 2004; 31(2) 155-61
13. Tzen KY, Lu CS, Yen TC, Wey SP, Ting G. Differential diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease and vascular parkinsonism by [99mTc]-TRODAT-1. J Nucl Med. 2001; 42(3): 408-13
14. Chou YH, Lin CH, Yen RF. Analysis of [99mTc]-TRODAT-1 SPECT binding to dopamine and serotonin transporters in patients with multiple system atrophy and parkinson’s disease. J Nucl Med 2019; 60(Suppl 1):424
15. Guttman M, Burkholder J, Kish SJ, Hussey D, Wilson A, DaSilva J, et al. [11C]RTI-32 PET studies of the dopamine transporter in early dopamine-naïve Parkinson’s disease: implication for the symptomatic threshold. Neirology. 1997;48(6):1578-83
16. Nagasawa H, Tanji H, Itoyama Y, Saito H, Kimura I, Fujiwara T, ei al. Brain 6-[28F] fluorodopa metabolism in early and late onset of Parkinson’s disease studied by positron emission tomography. J neurol Sci. 1996;144(1-2):70-6
17. Sinha kk, Worth PF, Jha DK, Sinha S, Stinton VJ, Davis MB, et al. Autosomal dominant cerebellar ataxia: SCA2 is the most frequent mutation in eastern India. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004;75:448-52
18. Shih MC, Franco de Andrade LA, Amaro E Jr, Felicio AC, Ferraz HB, Wagner J, et al. Higher niagro striatal dopamine neuron loss in early than late onset Parkinson’s Disease ?- a [99mTc]-TRODAT-1 SPECT study. Mov Disord. 2007;22(6): 863-6
To cite this abstract in AMA style:P. Basu, J. Ganguly, S. Pandey, S. Mukherjee, N. Singh, S. Choudhury, H. Kumar. Dopamine dysfunction in nigro-striatal pathway—multi-axial pathology in SCA 12 [abstract]. Mov Disord. 2023; 38 (suppl 1). https://www.mdsabstracts.org/abstract/dopamine-dysfunction-in-nigro-striatal-pathway-multi-axial-pathology-in-sca-12/. Accessed September 27, 2023.
« Back to 2023 International Congress
MDS Abstracts - https://www.mdsabstracts.org/abstract/dopamine-dysfunction-in-nigro-striatal-pathway-multi-axial-pathology-in-sca-12/